Arusha, March 10, 2004 (FH) – A genocide survivor and a prosecution witness in the Butare trial told the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda (ICTR) on Wednesday that one of the accused, Elie Ndayambvaje, former mayor of Muganza commune, distributed grenades to soldiers and communal police during the massacres at Kabuye hill. Led in his examination in chief by prosecuting counsel Adesola Adeboyejo, the witness code-named RT told the chamber that on the second day of the attack at Kabuye hill Ndayambaje arrived in a white Toyota-pick with grenades.

1 min 11Approximate reading time

He said this happened between April 19th and 21st, 1994. “He was walking around distributing grenades to soldiers and communal police,” the witness stated, when the prosecutor asked him what Ndayambaje did after his arrival at Kabuye hill. He added that from the first day when refugees were forcibly sent to Kabuye hill under the escort of soldiers, policemen and Hutu populations, shooting started immediately after their arrival and many of them lost their lives. He estimated the number of refugees at Kabuye at 40,000, and the attackers could not easily finish them off by shooting at them. The grenades were meant to facilitate the killing process. “They formed small groups and surrounded us. We could not flee though we tried to,” he said adding “some attempted to go to Burundi, others hid in holes and some went to Kabogobogo. ”Witness RT continues with his testimony on Thursday. Ndayambaje is co-accused with the former minister of women and family affairs, Pauline Nyiramasuhuko, her son and former militia leader in Butare, Arsene Shalom Ntahobali, two former prefect of Butare, Sylvain Nsabimana and Alphonse Nteziryayo and the former mayor of Ngoma commune, Joseph Kanyabashi. The hearing is taking place in Trial Chamber Two of the ICTR, composed of Judge William Hussein Sekule of Tanzania (presiding), Judge Arlette Ramaroson from Madagascar and Judge Solomy Balungi Bossa of Uganda. NI/CE/FH(BT''03010e)