Arusha, March 8, 2004 (FH) – The 36th prosecution witness in the Butare trial who fell sick in the middle of his testimony and asked for a rest last Thursday, continued testifying on Monday at the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda (ICTR). The witness code-named FAC to conceal his identity touched two accused persons during his examination in-chief, the former Prefect of Butare,Sylvain Nsabimana and former Mayor of Ngoma commune, Joseph Kanyabashi.

1 min 11Approximate reading time

The trial groups six genocide suspects. Other co-accused are, the former minister of women and family affairs, Pauline Nyiramasuhuko, her son and former militia leader in Butare, Arsene Shalom Ntahobali, another former prefect of Butare, Alphonse Nteziryayo and the former mayor of Muganza commune, Erlie Ndayambaje. When it resumed FAC was being cross examined by Michel Marchand, lead counsel for Kanyabashi. The witness alleged that following Kanyabashi's orders, he joined others to hunt for Tutsis, killed them and took away their clothes and other properties. “The authorities did not punish us but rather thanked us for the job well done,” FAC told the chamber. FAC, who is a confessed killer in Rwanda, elaborated that before the operation in May, 1994, the authorities convened a meeting at a cemeterynear Butare National university where three speakers took the floor to address about 2,000 people. He said Kanyabashi and Prefect Nsabimana were among the speakers and that they had only one message, to hunt and kill the Tutsis wherever they might be. Counsel Marchand then asked for a closed session to wind up his cross examination. When they resumed he had already finished and counsel for Nsabimana, Charles Tchakounte had taken over to cross examine FAC. The trial continues on Tuesday. The “Butare trial” is taking place in Trial Chamber Two of the ICTR, composed of Judge William Hussein Sekule of Tanzania (presiding), assited by judges Arlette Ramaroson from Madagascar and Solomy Balungi Bossa of Uganda. NI/CE/FH(BT''0308e)