Arusha, February 26, 2004 (FH) - The 34th prosecution witness in the so-called “Butare trial” told the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda (ICTR) on Thursday that soldiers, communal authorities, policemen and members of the population chased and killed fleeing Tutsi refugees in a bid to force them back to Kabuye hill massacre site. The witness dubbed EV to conceal his identity was being cross examined by Pierre Boulé, counsel for Elie Ndayambaje, former mayor of Muganza commune and one of the six accused in this trial.

1 min 14Approximate reading time

EV told the court that the refugees including his family, were fleeing to Gisagara from their homes following the attacks but were intercepted by attackers at a bridge called Ngeri where they were forced back to Kabuye hill. He said that in the process some refugees, especially the old ones, were mercilessly killed as they could not run fast. He said they left their homes between 18th and 19th April, 1994 and stayed at Kabuye hill where the attackers continued killing them for five days. During that time, Ndayambaje allegedly moved from one place to another carrying a shotgun, leading the population, soldiers and communal police to kill the refugees who had sought refugee there. “He was like a referee, he did not stay at one position,” the witness said in response to Boulé's question on whether the witness had seen Ndayambaje everyday during the five days he stayed at Kabuye hill. Boulé then asked for a closed session to continue his cross examination. Other accused in this trial include former minister of Family and Women Affairs, Pauline Nyiramasuhuko, her son and militia leader, Arsene Shalom Ntahobali, two former prefects of Butare Sylvain Nsabimana and Alphonse Nteziryayo and former Mayor of Ngoma commune Joseph Kanyabashi. The trial is taking place in Trial Chamber Two of the ICTR composed of Judges William Hussein Sekule of Tanzania (presiding), Judge Arlette Ramaroson from Madagascar and Judge Solomy Balungi Bossa of Uganda. NI/CE/FH (BT''0226e)