14.05.09 - ICTR/NTAWUKULILYAYO - GENOCIDE-ACCUSED NTAWUKULILYAYO PROMISED REWARDS TO ‘KILLERS’

Arusha, 14 May 2009 (FH) - The former Rwandan sub-prefect Dominique Ntawukulilyayo, on trial for genocide at the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda (ICTR), incited massacres in 1994 by promising important rewards to those who would killed the biggest number of ethnic Tutsis, according to a witness heard on Thursday.
1 min 2Approximate reading time

The sub-prefect  of Gisagara , Butare, southern Rwanda, directed in 1994, including the communes Kibayi, Muganza, Muyaga, Ndora and Nyaruhenegeri,

"It was on 15 May 1994 in Muduburi, Nyaruhengeri commune ,he encouraged people to kill ethnic Tutsis'', witness code-named "BAW" to protect his identity, claimed before the Chamber.

"He said that the bodies (of the Tutsis killed) were to be dissimulated to prevent satellites from photographing them", added BAW, alleging that he was hidden near the place where was the former administrative official.

In another public meeting near the end of May 1994, in Muyaga commune, the accused  invited Hutus to kill Tutsis who were still alive "before the arrival of the RPF" (Rwandan Patriotic Front, the former rebellion, currently in power)", said BAW.

The following day, the inhabitants of Muyaga went on a search mission in the bushes and the fields of sorghum, killing with their traditional weapons each Tutsi that they found.

BAW will be cross-examined by the defence on Monday.

The former sub-prefect, who has claimed his innocence, was arrested on 16 October 2007 in Carcassonne, in the south-west of France, on the basis of an arrest warrant issued by the ICTR on 21 September of the same year.

His trial began last week before a chamber presided by Pakistani Judge, Khalida Rashid Khan.

ER/MM/SC/GF

© Hirondelle News Agency