02.09.10 - ICTR/NTAWUKULILYAYO - PROSECUTION GIVES UP IN DOMINIQUE NTAWUKULILYAYO'S CASE

Arusha, September 2, 2010 (FH) - The prosecution will not appeal in the case of former Rwandan Deputy Governor, Dominique Ntawukulilyayo sentenced to serve 25 years imprisonment early August, after being found guilty of genocide by the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda (ICTR).
1 min 4Approximate reading time

"We are not appealing in the case of Ntawukulilyayo," Chief of Prosecution Richard Karegyesa told  Hirondelle News Agency Thursday. He declined to give details, including disclosing reasons behind the prosecution's move.

When contacted for comment on the matter, Officer in Charge of Appeals, Christin Graham said, "Those are internal issues of the prosecution. We cannot divulge to journalists."

Ntawukulilyayo had expressed his intention to appeal against both conviction and sentence passed against him. The Appeals Chamber had already directed him to file the notice of appeal by not later than September 6.

Furthermore, the Chamber has granted him extension of time of 45 days to file his appellate brief from the date of receiving French version of the judgment. The French translation of the judgment is expected by December 10, 2010. Trial Chamber III gave its judgment in English language on August 3.

Karegyesa said, however, that the prosecution would appeal in the case of former Rwandan businessman, Yusuf Munyakazi, who was sentenced to 25 years in jail after being found guilty of genocide and crimes against humanity (extermination) on June 30. According to him, they have already lodged a notice of appeal against the sentence.

In his part, Munyakazi has also expressed his intention to appeal against conviction and sentence imposed on him. His move was, however, frustrated after his lead counsel Prof. Jwani Mwaikusa, was shot dead by unknown assaillants in Dar es Salaam mid July 2010.

FK/NI/GF

© Hirondelle News Agency