"We acknowledge the tremendous work that has been done by the Interpol. Red notices have been issued for about 97 suspects and about 30 of them have been arrested so far," Ngoga told Hirondelle News Agency on Friday.
He added, "It is a significant number but we still have a much bigger number (of suspects) who are still on the run. We and the Interpol agree on that, and we have reaffirmed our commitment to make sure we track those fugitives."
Interpol's Executive Secretary Ronald Noble held talks with Rwandan Minister of Justice Tharcisse Karugarama and Martin Ngoga in Kigali on Thursday.
The New Times, a Rwandan daily newspaper issued on Friday, quotes Noble as saying in a press conference that, "The Interpol has been doing great work with the Rwandan police force and the office of the Prosecutor in terms of tracking down genocide fugitives."
"That has been due to our close cooperation. This remains a priority for us," the newspaper further quotes Noble. According to the newspaper, Noble noted that most of genocide suspects operate under false names and documents, observing that so far 10 genocide suspects have been arrested with false documents.
"It is a huge problem. They have access to resources that allow them to hide from capture but just to remind you; it took 10 years to track down Osama bin Laden," he is quoted as saying.
Noble further said that despite much presence of genocide-suspects in France, where Interpol has its headquarters, the country was one of the few countries which systematically scan passports of all travelers
Noble was attending in Kigali the 13th Eastern African Police Chief's Cooperation Organization (EAPCCO) General Assembly.
© Hirondelle News Agency