On August 7, judges said the Trust Fund for Victims should set up a group of experts to go to Ituri, and identify the communities affected by Lubanga's crimes between September 1, 2002 and August 13, 2003. The experts should then consult the population, evaluate the harm caused and hold a public debate, before submitting to a first instance Chamber of the Court their proposals on reparations.
“It’s a historic milestone for victims of international crimes,” Rehn said in a statement. She called on “all parties, including local authorities and community leadership, to lend their support in making reparations to victims in this case a meaningful undertaking”.
The Fund’s current reserve for reparations amounts to € 1.2 million.
So far, the Court has received over 8,000 applications for reparations overall. In the Lubanga case, 85 victims have applied for reparations, while many more may be eligible.