Mugesera request fails: Rwandan linguist Léon Mugesera, extradited from Canada a year ago, Monday asked in vain for the judges of the Kigali High Court to reject certain witnesses that the Prosecutor wants to bring against him. Mugesera said some of them were liars and should be found guilty of perjury. The Chamber, which has not yet started hearing witnesses, rejected the request on grounds it was premature.
Uwinkindi trial slow to start: Pastor Jean Uwinkindi, the first ICTR detainee to be transferred to Rwanda, appeared before his judges on Thursday. He asked once again that his defence team be strengthened with independent investigators to be paid by the Rwandan government. Uwinkindi is refusing to go to trial before this question is settled. The judges will hand down their decision on May 16.
MICT issues arrest warrant for Kabuga: The Mechanism for International Criminal Tribunals (MICT) has launched its own arrest warrant for Rwandan businessman Félicien Kabuga, who was already under an ICTR arrest warrant. The new arrest warrant, available on the MICT website, replaces that of November 8, 2001. Kabuga, who is still at large, is alleged by the prosecutor to be the main financier of the 1994 genocide.
Jerbo death not yet confirmed: The International Criminal Court (ICC) said Friday that the death of Sudanese rebel leader Saleh Jerbo, announced by his defence, has not yet been confirmed. Jerbo is indicted for crimes committed in Darfur. According to his defence, Jerbo was killed in fighting last month. If his death is confirmed, the case against him will be withdrawn.
The Appeals Chamber of the ICTR will on Monday hear the arguments of defence and prosecution in the case of former Kivumu mayor Grégoire Ndahimana. Ndahimana was sentenced on November 17, 2011 to 15 years in jail for genocide and extermination as a crime against humanity. Both parties are appealing.
From Tuesday to Friday, the same Chamber will hear arguments in the “Military II” case. The case involves four former officers, including General Augustin Bizimungu, who was head of the army during the genocide, and General Augustin Ndindiliyimana, who was head of the gendarmerie.