Ivorian courts and the International Criminal Court (ICC) have been accused of prosecuting only supporters of former president Laurent Gbagbo.
“Some people say it’s victor’s justice (…) but you know we can’t try everyone at the same time and some people were caught in the act,” Ouattara said at a New Year meeting with the press. “Every case will be brought to court.”
“The National Commission of Inquiry has drawn up a list of suspects,” he continued. “These people will be brought before the courts. They will have to answer for their alleged acts.” He suggested that they could be given amnesty after their trial. “Once the judgments have been handed down, the Head of State clearly has some prerogatives to propose to the National Assembly pardon and amnesty measures,” Ouattara told the press.
The current cases are only against members of Gbagbo’s entourage, whereas individuals close to Ouattara are also accused of committing crimes in 2010-2011.
“I hope we will one day be able to emerge from everything linked to the crisis, but I will not take any decision that interferes with the proper administration of justice,” the president said.
Hearings started on January 6 in Abidjan in the trial of Simone Gbagbo and 81 co-accused. The former First Lady and these other former dignitaries of Laurent Gbagbo’s regime are accused of acts of violence during the 2010-2011 post-electoral crisis.
Simone Gbagbo is also under an ICC arrest warrant, which the Ivorian authorities have so far refused to implement, arguing that national courts are willing and able to give her a fair trial.