Serbia


    Kosovo war crimes weigh heavy on Serbian film 'The Load' at Cannes
    11.05.18
    AFP

    Serbian director Ognjen Glavonic says the topic of his new film, which tackles the lingering horror of the Kosovo war, probably explains why his script was rejected seven times. "Teret" (The Load), which will screen at Cannes on Saturday, addresses one of the grim secrets revealed after the war, a taboo subject in a country still struggling to confront its past. It follows Vlada, a truck driver on the road from Kosovo to Belgrade, who discovers that he is transporting the bodies of victims from war crimes committed by Serb forces in Kosovo. Most of them are ethnic Albanian civilians, including many women and children. Based on real events, the bodies are transported to Serbia to be...

    Read more

    Karadzic urges UN judges to throw out war crimes conviction
    23.04.18
    AFP

    Once-feared Bosnian Serb leader Radovan Karadzic Monday urged UN judges to overturn his conviction for war crimes during the Balkans conflict, and either acquit him or order a new trial. Appearing at the start of his two-day appeal dressed in a dark suit and red tie, Karadzic, 72, smiled and greeted his defence team in the tribunal in The Hague. He was sentenced to 40 years behind bars in March 2016 for the bloodshed committed during the Balkan country's three-year war from 1992-1995 which killed 100,000 people and left 2.2 million others homeless. Once the most powerful Bosnian Serb...

    Read more

    Vojislav Seselj: Unrepentant Serb ultranationalist
    11.04.18
    AFP

    Serb academic turned far-right leader Vojislav Seselj, who was found guilty Wednesday by a UN court of crimes against humanity, won notoriety during the 1990s Balkan wars for his incendiary rhetoric and remains defiant in defending the idea of a "Greater Serbia". UN war crimes judges in The Hague overturned the shock 2016 acquittal of the stocky, ruddy-faced former deputy prime minister, sentencing him to 10 years behind bars, although ruling that he had already served 12 years in custody. The court found the 63-year-old guilty of "instigating persecution, deportation and other inhumane acts". Prosecutors had accused Seselj of poisoning the minds of volunteer forces who committed...

    Read more

    Serbia and Kosovo declare war of words
    18.01.17
    AFP

    A propagandist train, a rising wall and the ghosts of the late 1990s conflict: Serbia and Kosovo are engaged in a disturbing war of symbols and words, unprecedented in recent years. "Kosovo is Serbia" said a message in 20 languages on the side of a train, painted in the colours of the Serbian flag, which left Belgrade on Saturday, destined for northern Kosovo. The move was lambasted as a "deliberate provocation" by Kosovo's President Hashim Thaci, who suggested it was part of a plan to annex the Serb-populated north of his country. "Serbia counts on the assistance of Russia," said...

    Read more
     

    Seselj: firebrand believer in 'Greater Serbia'
    31.03.16
    AFP

    A Serb academic turned far-right leader, Vojislav Seselj won notoriety during the 1990s Balkan wars for his incendiary rhetoric and remained defiant over more than a decade in detention at The Hague. The stocky and ruddy-faced 61-year-old, who once served as deputy prime minister, was declared "not guilty" on Thursday in a shock ruling from the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia (ICTY). The Serbian Radical Party leader, who plans to stand in a general election next month, has nevertheless stuck to what the judges agreed was "an ardent political ambition to create a Greater Serbia". "The point of the Serbian Radical Party's existence is the idea of a Greater...

    Read more

    UN judges acquit Serb leader Seselj
    31.03.16
    AFP

    UN war crimes judges Thursday acquitted radical Serb leader Vojislav Seselj on all nine charges of committing atrocities in the 1990s Balkans wars in a surprise verdict swiftly denounced as "shameful" by Croatia The three-judge panel found by a majority that the prosecution "had failed to prove beyond all reasonable doubt" or provide sufficient evidence that Seselj was responsible for the crimes with which he was charged. "Vojislav Seselj is now a free man," declared French judge Jean-Claude Antonetti at the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia (ICTY). The acquittal...

    Read more

    UN judges to deliver verdict on defiant Serb nationalist
    29.03.16
    AFP

    UN war crimes judges will deliver another landmark verdict Thursday, this time against firebrand radical Serb leader Vojislav Seselj -- but in the absence of the defiant defendant, who has refused to return to The Hague. Exactly a week after former Bosnian Serb leader Radovan Karadzic was sentenced to 40 years in jail for genocide and nine other charges, the judges at the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia (ICTY) will pronounce judgement on Seselj in the same courtroom. Seselj faces nine charges of war crimes and crimes against humanity. It will be the first time that judges at the ICTY return an initial verdict without the accused in court -- although defendants...

    Read more

    Karadzic expects acquittal in UN war crimes court: report
    23.03.16
    AFP

    Wartime Bosnian Serb leader Radovan Karadzic said "no reasonable court" would convict him, in an interview published Wednesday, a day before a UN tribunal rules on whether he committed some of Europe's worst atrocities since World War II. Ahead of Thursday's verdict from the Hague-based International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia (ICTY), a defiant Karadzic said he had been fighting to preserve peace and expected to be "acquitted". "My expectations are the same [as they always were]. I know what I wanted, what I did, even what I dreamed of, and there is no reasonable court that would convict me," Karadzic told the Balkan Investigative Reporting Network in an interview by...

    Read more
     

    UN war crimes prosecutor eyes end to long Karadzic trial
    13.03.16
    AFP

    It may have taken over two decades but as the verdict looms in the trial of Bosnian Serb leader Radovan Karadzic, his UN prosecutor says it's never too late for justice. More than 20 years after the excruciating 44-month siege of Sarajevo and the massacre of almost 8,000 Muslim men and boys in Srebrenica, Karadzic will on March 24 hear whether judges have found him guilty of 11 charges, including two of genocide. "There have been many important trials in this tribunal, there have been many important judgements, but the one in relation to Karadzic will for sure be one of the most important in the history of the tribunal," Serge Brammertz told AFP Friday in an exclusive interview. After...

    Read more

    Serbia Needs Responsible Attitude on Genocide, says Human Rights Lawyer
    10.07.15
    Julia Crawford, JusticeInfo.Net

    As Bosnia prepared to mark 20 years on Saturday since Srebenica massacres, the UK this week proposed a Resolution seeking to have the UN Security Council declare the events in Srebenica as genocide. Despite negotiations and a postponement of the vote, Russia on Wednesday vetoed the proposed Resolution and Serbia hailed this as a victory. Sandra Orlovic is Executive Director of the Humanitarian Law Center in the Serbian capital Belgrade. She spoke to JusticeInfo.net about the proposed Resolution and Srebenica.   JusticeInfo.net: How do you react to the Russian veto of the British...

    Read more